Security requirements are constantly changing and evolving as thieves get smarter and more data is stored electronically. HID Global suggests the following steps when updating an existing access control system or purchasing a new system for your organization. Below are some quick steps to consider when choosing a system. Please read the complete article from HID here.
- Choose the correct technology for desired level of security.
- Choose a manufacturer that uses diversified keys and may allow you to utilize your own cryptographic authentication key.
- Protect the methods in which all the data will be communicated to each other.
- Use security screws that require a special tool to remove a reader.
- Consider utilizing two reader doors so that a duplicate card would not be allowed to enter a facility.
- Use multi-layer authentication.
- Use proprietary card formats.
- Inform employees how to protect their cards.
- Check out reader manufactures that send “health” messages about the reader to alert you of possible issues.
- Analyze and study security logs.
- Choose a manufacturer with a range of migration products/strategies.
- Perform an annual review of your access control system to determine if any changes should be made.
Elliott Data Systems is a proud partner of HID Global Solutions. Please contact Elliott at 1-888-345-8511 or visit our website to see how we can help choose the right access control solution for you.